Essentials Oils - What are they?
Essential oils are natural oils typically obtained by distillation and having the characteristic fragrance of the plant or other source from which it is extracted. They are obtained through mechanical pressing or distillation, are concentrated plant extracts that retain the natural smell and flavor of their source. Synthetic oils are not considered true essential oils
Each essential oil has a unique composition of chemicals, and this variation affects the smell, absorption, and effects on the body. The chemical composition of an essential oil may vary within the same plant species, or from plant to plant. These variation from plants are based on the plant's habitat varying from its area of growth where it habits. The reactivity of essential oil depends upon the nature, composition, and orientation of its functional groups.
Can Essential Oils Kill Microorganisms?
The answer is yes, through recorded literature history has shown that essential oils have been used since the Middle Ages by Arabs for their antiseptic, bactericidal, virucidal, and fungicidal properties. They are also used for embalming and preservation of foods and as drugs with antimicrobial, analgesic, sedative, anti-inflammatory, spasmolytic, and local anesthetic properties..
Studies have shown essential oils have been shown to inhibit or slow the growth of several bacterial, fungal, and viral pathogens. For example, the essential oils of Mentha pulegium and M. suaveolens were efficient at inhibiting fungal species such as S. cerevisiae, Kloeckera apiculata, Candida zemplinina, Metschnikowia pulcherrima, and Tetrapisispora phaffii. (1)
Studies have shown essential oils possess antiviral properties against many DNA and RNA viruses. According to Pourghanbari et al., the essential oil of lemon balm inhibits influenza virus replication at different replication cycles by directly interacting with the virus particles. (1)
How Do Essential Oils Kill Microorganisms?
Depending on the type of essential oil lethal toxicity to microorganisms can be caused by the following mechanisms:
• By causing a disruption in the microorganism outer-membranes by destabilizing the cellular architecture leading to the breakdown of membrane integrity and increased permeability.
• Increased bacterial cell membrane permeability leading to the leakage of cellular components and loss of ions.
• Hamper the growth of pathogens
The disturbance caused by essential oils causes a break down in the micro-organism's ability to inhabit, feed, and reproduce in its hosted-organism. This disturbance to the cell membrane viability should ultimately lead to the elimination of the micro-organism completely.
Based on these studies, along with addition case studies, Xcel Nutraceuticals has put together a proprietary of blend of 8 true essential oils from various plants from different parts of the world, to deliver a product for the relief of symptoms caused from micro-organisms and human pathogens.
• The Home Essential Organic Air Purifier is a candle that uses these essential oils to not only emit a pleasant aroma, but aid in reduction in of the presence of bacteria and viruses in the air of a confined space
• The Aromatherapy Inhaler allows it user to inhaler this essential oil blend to potentially aid in the relief of symptoms associated with allergies, cold, and the flu. .
• EO (Essential Oil) for allergies, cold, and flu, is the essential oil blend in its true form allows the user to place small drops of essential oil into a comfortable organic tea for consumption in the relief of symptoms caused from allergies, cold, and flu.
While Xcel Nutraceuticals do not give claim to these products as being cures against micro-organisms and or human pathogens, based on anecdotal studies from its users, these products do offer aid in the relief for the undesirable symptoms associated with colds, flus, and allergies.